Muscle Dysmorphia and Personality Trait: A Significant Link in Bodybuilders
Shweta Shenoy, Jaspal Singh Sandhu, Sai Kishore, Harwinder Singh Randhawa
Citation Information :
Shenoy S, Sandhu JS, Kishore S, Randhawa HS. Muscle Dysmorphia and Personality Trait: A Significant Link in Bodybuilders. J Postgrad Med Edu Res 2013; 47 (2):77-82.
Copyright © 2013; The Author(s).
How to cite this article
Sandhu JS, Kishore S, Shenoy S, Randhawa HS. Muscle Dysmorphia and Personality Trait: A Significant Link in Bodybuilders. J Postgrad Med Edu Res 2013;47(2):77-82.
- Biceps and body image: The relationship between muscularity and self esteem, depression and eating disorder symptoms. Psychology Men Masculinity 2004;5(2):112-20.
- Muscle size satisfaction and predisposition for a health harmful practice in bodybuilders and recreational gym users. Medicina 2007;43(4):338-46.
- Bodybuilding's dark side: Clues to anabolic steroid use. Current Psychiatry 2004;3(12):1-8.
- The presentation of body dysmorphic disorder in medical settings. Primary Psychiatry 2006;13(7):51-59.
- Anorexia nervosa and reverse anorexia among 108 male bodybuilders. Compr Psychiatry 1993;34:406-09.
- Muscle dysmorphia: An under-recognized form of body dysmorphic disorder. Psychomatics 1997;38:548-57.
- Muscle dysmorphia symptoms and their relationships to self-concept and negative affect among college recreational exercises. J Appl Sports Psychol 2009;21:262-75.
- Body dysmorphic disorder: A guide for primary care physicians. Am J Clin Dermatol 2002;1:235-43.
- Clinical features of muscle dysmorphia among males with body dysmorphic disorder. Body Image 2005;2(4):395-400.
- Body dysmorphic disorder: Some key issues for DSM-V. Depression and Anxiety 2010;27:573-91.
- Body image: Understanding body dissatisfaction in men, women and children (2nd ed). London and New York: Routledge Taylor and Francis Group 2008.
- The media's representation of the ideal male body: A cause for muscle dysmorphia? Int J Eating Dis 2002;31(3):334-38.
- Body checking behaviors in men. Body Image 2009;6:164-70.
- Muscle dysmorphia: A critical review of the proposed criteria. Perspectives Biol Med 2001;44(4):565-74.
- Symptoms characteristics and psychiatric comorbidity among males with muscle dysmorphia. Compr Psychiatry 2008;49:374-79.
- Type-D personality and body image in men: The role of exercise status. Body Image 2010;7:39-45.
- The drive for muscularity and masculinity: Testing the associations among gender-role traits, behaviors, attitudes and conflicts. Psychology Men Masculinity 2005;6(2):83-94.
- The Eysenck personality questionnaire: An examination of the factorial similarity of P, E, N and L across 34 countries. Personality Individual Differences 1998;25:805-19.
- Personality and psychopatholog: A theory based revision of Eysenck's PEN model. Clin Pract Epidemiol Ment Health 2009;5:9-21.
- Muscle dysmorphia in male weight lifters: A case-control study. Am J Psychiat 2000;157:1291-96.
- Muscularity and its ramifications: Mimetic male bodies in Indian mass culture. South Asia 2001;24:197-224.
- Development of the muscle dysmorphia inventory. J Sports Med Phys Fitness 2004;44:428-35.
- Characteristics of muscle dysmorphia in male football, weight training and competitive natural and non-natural bodybuilding samples. Body Image 2009;6:221-27.
- Personality does not influence exercise-induced mood enhancement among female exercisers. J Sports Sci Med 2005;4:223-28.
- Psychometric properties of the muscle appearance satisfaction scale among Irish and British Men. Body Image 2010;7:246-50.
- Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the largest of them all? The features and phenomenology of muscle dysmorphia. Harvard Rev Psychiatry 2001;9:254-59.
- Recognition and treatment of muscle dysmorphia and related body image disorders. J Athl Train 2005;40(4):352-59.
- A conceptual model of factors contributing to the development of muscle dysmorphia. Eating Dis 2007;15(1):63-80.
- Bigorexia: Bodybuilding and muscle dysmorphia. Europ Eat Dis Rev 2009;17(3):191-98.
- Muscle dysmorphia: A new syndrome in weightlifters. Brit J Sports Med 2002;36:375-77.
- Muscle dysmorphia: A South African sample. Psych Clin Neurosci 2001;55:521-23.
- Muscle dysmorphia, body image and eating behaviors in two male populations. Rev Med Chile 2010;138: 1386-94.
- Sex role identity, personality and participation in team and individual sports by males and females. Int J Sports Psychol 1985;16:103-12.
- Relationship between body image disturbance and incidence of depression: The SUN Prospective Cohort. BMC Public Health 2009;9(1):1-9.
- Run for your mind. Aerobic exercise as a means of alleviating anxiety and depression. Can J Behav Sci 1980;12:126-40.
- Muscle dissatisfaction in young adult men. Clin Pract Epidemiol Ment Health 2006;2:6
- Exercise dependence, social physique anxiety, and social support in experienced and inexperienced bodybuilders and weightlifters. Brit J Sports Med 2000;34:431-35.
- Changing patterns of diet, physical activity and obesity among urban, rural and slum populations in North India. Obesity Reviews 2008;9:400-08.
- A cross-sectional investigation of regional patterns of diet and cardiometabolic risk in India. Nutr J 2011;10:12
- Gods, men and muscle dysmorphia. Harvard Review Psychiatry 2011;19:95-98.
- The structure of the eysenck personality profiler. Brit J Psychol 2000;91:223-39.
- Influence of physical activity on the changes in personality traits and motor skills with age. Int J Sports Sci Phys Educ 2010;1:8-14.