Prevalence of Metabolic Syndrome and Its Risk Factors among Urban Sikh Population of Amritsar
Shweta Shenoy, Jaspal Singh Sandhu, Amrinder Singh
Citation Information :
Shenoy S, Sandhu JS, Singh A. Prevalence of Metabolic Syndrome and Its Risk Factors among Urban Sikh Population of Amritsar. J Postgrad Med Edu Res 2015; 49 (1):18-25.
Copyright © 2015; The Author(s).
How to cite this article
Singh A, Shenoy S, Sandhu JS. Prevalence of Metabolic Syndrome and its Risk Factors among Urban Sikh Population of Amritsar. J Postgrad Med Edu Res 2015;49(1):18-25.
- Metabolic syndrome: connecting and reconciling cardiovascular and diabetes worlds. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006;47:1093-1100.
- The metabolic syndrome and dyslipidemia among Asian Indians: a population with high rates of diabetes and premature coronary artery disease. J Cardiometabolic Syndrome 2007;2(4):267-275.
- Metabolic syndrome: recent prevalence in East and Southeast Asian populations. Asia Pacific J Clin Nutrit 2007;16(2):362-367.
- Metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular disease in South Asians. Vascular Health and Risk Management 2009;5:731-743.
- How to beat the heart disease epidemic among South Asians. 1st ed. Downers Grove, IL: Advanced Heart Lipid Clinic 2008. The Pediatric Foundations of Heart Disease, p. 153-160.
- The metabolic syndrome in South Asians: epidemiology, clinical correlates and possible solutions. Int Diabetes Monitor 2009;21:92-101.
- The metabolic syndrome in South Asians: continuing escalation and possible solutions. Indian J Med Res 2007;125:345-354.
- Abdominal obesity, an independent cardiovascular risk factor in Indian subcontinent: a clinico epidemiological evidence summary. J Cardiovasc Dis Res 2011;2:199-205.
- Childhood cardiovascular risk factors in South Asians: a cause of concern for adult cardiovascular disease epidemic. Ann Pediatr Cardiol 2011;4:166-171.
- The need for obtaining accurate nationwide estimates of diabetes prevalence in India-Rationale for a national study on diabetes. Indian J Med Res 2011 Apr;133:369-380.
- Surveillance of cardiovascular disease risk factors in India: The need and scope. Indian J Med Res 2010 Nov;132:634-642.
- Preventing cardiovascular disease in India: translating evidence, to action. Current Sci 2009;97(3):367-377.
- Methods for establishing a surveillance system for cardiovascular diseases in Indian industrial populations. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 2006;84(6):461-469.
- Sociodemographic variables of hypertension among adult Punjabi females. J Hum Ecol 2005;17(3):211-215.
- Metabolic syndrome: a new world-wide definition. A consensus statement from the International Diabetes Federation. Diabet Med 2006 May;23(5):469-480.
- Obesity and the metabolic syndrome in developing countries. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2008 Nov; 93(11 Suppl 1):s9-30.
- Effect of obesity on cardiovascular risk factors in urban population in South India. Heart Asia 2010;2:145-149.
- Anthropometric measurements for the prediction of the metabolic syndrome: a cross-sectional study on adolescents and young adults from southern India. Heart Asia 2011;3:2-7.
- Metabolic syndrome in urban Asian Indian adults: a population study using modified ATPIII criteria. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2003;60:199-204.
- Prevalence and risk factors of metabolic syndrome among Asian Indians: a community survey. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2010;8:269-273.
- Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in Urban India. Cholesterol 2011;2011:920983
- Type 2 diabetes in South Asains. 1st ed. New Delhi: South Asian Society on Atherosclerosis and Thrombosis; 2007.
- The metabolically obese, normal-weight individual revisited. Diabetes 1998;47:699-713.
- Metabolic obesity: a new therapeutic target for cardiometabolic risk reduction. CVD Prev Control 2010;5:39-44.
- Asians are different from caucasians and from each other in their body mass index/body fat per cent relationship. Obes Rev 2002;3:141-146.
- Can we apply the National cholesterol education program adult treatment panel definition of the metabolic syndrome to asians? Diabetes Care 2004;27:1182-1186.
- Dyslipidemia in South Asian patients. Current Atherosclerosis Reports, 2007;9(5):367-374.
- The metabolic syndrome in South Asians: epidemiology, clinical correlates and possible solutions. Int Diabetes Monitor 2009;21(3):92-101.
- Differences in the prevalence of metabolic syndrome in Urban and rural India: a problem of urbanization. Chronic Illness 2007;3(1):8-19.
- The metabolic syndrome in South Asians: epidemiology, determinants and prevention. Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders 2009;7(6):497-514.
- Significant lipid, adiposity and metabolic abnormalities amongst 4535 Indians from a developing region of rural Andhra Pradesh. Atherosclerosis 2008;196(2):943-952.
- Prevalence of coronary artery disease in Asian Indians. Am J Cardiol 1992;70(9):945-949.
- Prevalence of dyslipidemia in young adult Indian population. J Assoc Physicians of India 2008;56:99-102.
- Metabolic syndrome, inflammation and atherosclerosis. Vasc Health Risk Manag 2006 Jun;2(2):145-152.
- The metabolic syndrome and total and cardiovascular disease mortality in middle-aged men. JAMA 2002;288(21):2709-2716.
- Metabolic syndrome and carotid intima media thickness in the Health 2000 Survey. Atherosclerosis 2009;204(1):276-281.
- Lancet. The metabolic syndrome 2010 Jan 16;375(9710):181-183.
- Recent advances in metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular disease. Arch Cardiovasc Dis 2008;101(9):577-583.
- The metabolic syndrome is a stronger risk factor for early carotid atherosclerosis in women than in men. Stroke 2005;36(6): 1212-1217.
- Metabolic syndrome and risk of cardiovascular disease: a meta-analysis. Am J Med 2006 Oct;119(10):812-819.